Why mercury-free dental fillings are desirable for Los Angeles, CA area patients
Your smile is one of the most important aspects of your appearance. It’s the first thing others notice when they meet you for the first time. Making a first impression is critical in both business and personal relationships, and that’s why cosmetic dentistry has become more desired over the years. Patients of the Los Angeles, CA area who are dealing with dental problems such as cavities may also want to consider the material they use to restore the smile. At the Center for Holistic Dentistry, we stress with our patients the importance of mercury-free dental fillings.
Why should I focus on mercury-free dental fillings?
Fillings are the primary method of restoring a tooth, but many dentists over the years have used a filling material known as silver amalgam. Silver amalgam fillings are comprised of approximately 50% mercury, a toxic substance to the human body. Holistic dental professionals such as Dr. Mamta Dalwani eliminates the use of these materials in our practice as they can contribute to mercury toxicity. Also, because of their ability to shrink and expand with temperature changes, they can leave the inner portion of the tooth exposed to let in bacteria and increase the risk of infection within a treated tooth. Additionally, this material is dark in color and is highly noticeable to others when patients laugh, speak, or smile.
Dr. Mamta Dalwani instead utilizes a material known as composite resin bonding. This material has many benefits. It is:
- Natural in appearance, blending in with the patient’s teeth for cosmetic enhancement
- Safe and effective to use for small to large cavities
- The fillings Dr. Mamta Dalwani uses do not contain BPA, which is an industrial chemical that is used to create plastics. Not all white fillings are the same.
- Effective in addressing specific aesthetic concerns of the smile, such as chipped or cracked teeth
- Long-lasting with proper care from the patient
- Not susceptible to temperature changes, ensuring a proper seal on the tooth that eliminates the risk of infection
- Affordable, making it attainable for patients on a tight budget, but often covered by dental insurance plans
What occurs during the placement of a filling?
First, patients are diagnosed with a cavity on one or more teeth. If a patient decides to have the cavity treated during an appointment with Dr. Mamta Dalwani, the preparations begin. Patients receive local anesthetics to numb the tooth and the surrounding area for patient comfort. The area where the cavity resides is cleaned, and the damaged tooth structure removed. Then, the composite resin bonding filling is placed into the tooth to seal it off. It is hardened using a special curing light, and then the area is filed and polished. Once complete, it is practically impossible to know that a tooth has a filling in place! Patients can go about the rest of the day with little interruption after obtaining a filling.
Request a visit at the Center for Holistic Dentistry
Dr. Mamta Dalwani of Los Angeles, CA invites patients to call (310) 340-0153 to schedule an appointment and learn about this and other holistic solutions for the smile. Her facility is located in Suite 103 at 12381 Wilshire Boulevard and accepts new and existing patients.